Following standard rules of application is essential if you want the reader to be fully informed on a topic when you are writing a piece of text. How you reflect your opinions, thoughts and view point have to be communicated clearly and effectively. But how can you make sure you are doing just this?
Grammar is the essential component to any type or style of writing so you have to ensure that the structure and language that is used is correctly applied. Poor grammar can lead to a misunderstanding or even unacceptance of what is being said. Poor grammar results in distraction and takes the reader away from the aim of the writing.
So how can grammar be improved? Well through using our top tips for success you will truly be well on your way.
- Recognize the correct structure of grammatical rules.
- Train your ear to recognize bad grammar.
- Dedicate a notebook to new vocabulary. When reading a text or other activity with new vocabulary make a list of vocabulary with the definition so that you can use it as a point of reference at a later date.
- Don´t skip the basics. Go back to the basics if you have to.
- Explore grammar similarities and differences from your native country, as you are more likely to remember the connection.
- Grammar Games and Apps. When you have a little spare time, consider downloading an app or a game dedicated to teaching you better grammar skills.
- Read, read and read some more. Not only does this expand your range of vocabulary and grammar knowledge but it is important to take a break away from the text book.
- Sign up to a daily grammar blog that offers daily exercises, tips and pointers to improve your level.
- “Word per Day” Blogs, Apps, and Emails. Many online dictionary sites, such as Merriam-Webster, have a “word of the day”, so consider checking in every day to learn something new.
- Identify where you are going wrong. The quickest way to improve is to know where you are going wrong and your areas of weakness. Get someone knowledgeable to check your work and explain your mistakes. Once you know the areas that you need to improve on then you can focus your attention on specific areas.
- Relax and enjoy learning English. Learning a new language takes time and you learn more when you take your time and absorb the information rather than stressing about the amount you have to learn.