Every person has different & unique reasons for learning English.
Some of them want to learn the language due to external reasons, such as getting a better job, getting a certificate, being included or accepted by a group, impressing their families…; on the other hand, some people also have internal reasons for learning, like self-improvement, personal growth…
From my point of view, when it comes to learning a language, motivation is just like fuel for cars, oxygen for people or a battery for your mobile phone. That is to say that motivation is what encourages us to learn something new and it is essential for it. After all, without motivation it’s really difficult to have persistence to achieve a goal.
Some ways to be motivated when learning English are:
– Goal setting: set specific & simple goals, with a time limit and of course in a realistic way. For example, you can set the goal of reading an interesting article in English once a week.
– Read books of your interest: Try to read books or novels in English about the topics that you find interesting. If you are interested in philosophy, psychology or positive thinking, some books that you will like are: ‘The Secret’, ‘The Monk who sold his Ferrari’, ‘The Power’, ‘Mind Power’, ‘The Magic’… You may also be interested in: 5 reasons you should read in English
– Write a list with reasons & benefits: write a list with your reasons for learning English & the benefits that you may get when you achieve your objective. Put that list on a visible spot so that it’s the first thing that you can see in the mornings when you wake up.
– Visualization: imagine you have already achieved your aim, you speak English perfectly; visualize it, you have daily conversations in English; you don’t feel nervous anymore & you are perfectly capable of expressing yourself. Now you have your dream job, your B2 certificate & fluency when you speak English.
– Enjoy the learning process, enjoy the journey: Don’t be too hard on yourself; it is important to be persistent & improve; but it’s also necessary to enjoy the learning process. Sometimes, it can be even better than reaching your goal. Think about all the people that you are going to meet while you are learning, people who have the same dreams & aspirations as you. Reward yourself for every small improvement, for every small step you take forward, you deserve it!